Thursday, August 5, 2010

Row, row, row the boat... out on Lewey Lake!

Before we left the Adirondacks, I wanted to stay in one of the state parks we saw while driving around. I thought it would be a good time to test the motorhome while "dry camping". Since we had problems with the battery keeping a charge, I wanted to make sure it was fixed and that the battery would provide enough power to dry camp.

(For those of you who do not camp, dry camping is when you camp with no water, electric, or sewer hookups.)

We decided to stay at Lewey Lake State Park. It is between Indian Lake and Speculator. What a great campground! Originally I had just thought we would stay one night, but we had so much fun we stayed two. The first night we stayed at a spot on the river off of the lake. It was gorgeous but pretty close to the road. For the second night, I moved us to the next spot over. It still had the great beach access but was a bit further away from the road.


Campsites on the water

Since we were dry camping, I decided we had to at least make ONE of our meals over the fire. Here is the meal... corn on the cob, rice, steak and foil chicken. It was good (if I do say so myself) and the kids even ate the food.


Cooking over the fire

There is a beach at the campground (with a life guard). The water was nice and clear. The swimming area had a nice sandy bottom... although it didn't get very deep. We enjoyed swimming both days we were there.


Obviously the ducks think they are above following the rules!



Making friends wherever they go

The campground rents out canoes, kayaks, and row boats. . The boys wanted to rent a canoe, but I thought a row boat would be better. I remembering a certain canoe trip, in the rain, when we were going around in circles because I couldn't paddle well enough to keep up. (SORRY DAD!) We took the boat out to a little island and around the lake. We docked it at our campsite and later rowed it back to the beach and went swimming.

Skyler did a good job rowing
Liam - "this is harder than it looks!"
Docking the boat at our campsite
The ducks came into the weeds near our site to look for bugs. The boys wanted to feed them, so I let them. Obviously they are used to humans feeding them, because within seconds we were over-run with ducks!
What do you feed the ducks? Quackers of course!
Rascal didn't mind the ducks coming up to the campsite. He did, however, have an issue with the bull frogs. He really didn't know what to make of them! It was so funny watching him. He would hear them and he would whip his head around and look... then he would run to the end of his leash and stand there staring at the water.
Rascal trying to figure out where all the noise was coming from
The only complaint I had about the campground was that the available shower house was out near some of the campsites that lined the road and not in the main section of the campground. Other than that, it was really nice. I would recommend it and would go back again!
I will close the blog with some pictures I took through the time we were there. Enjoy the view... we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment