Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ready to hit the road....

We ended up staying in Edgewood, NM for a few extra days to help a little with dad's packing. With the extra time that we stayed at dad's, I have been able to finish everything that needed to be done in the motor home. Everything is stowed, stored, Velcro"ed" (see previous post) and in it's place.

The maps came out the other night and we have our route planned. Everyone keep asking if I have a GPS. No... I don't. I have a really good sense of direction, and I can read maps really well. We plan out routes ahead of time and research on the computer if necessary. I may eventually get a GPS, but not at this time. My thoughts on that??? People depend on them too much, and they should know basic skills on how to get around WITHOUT a GPS.

One thing I did before heading out was to do basic maintenance on the vehicles. The car (which we will be towing) had an oil change. The tires were checked and rotated, fluids checked and topped off. The motor home had an oil change. It also had a coolant flush and a new thermostat installed. We recently had all new tires put on, and an alignment done.

I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to Don and the guys at East Mountain Auto and RV here in Edgewood, NM. They installed the Blue Ox tow plate on my car, and helped me get the tow bar onto the Motor home. We went over everything step-by-step so I could do it on my own... towing a car is all new to me. Last trip I towed a trailer, not a car! It will take getting used to, but I know I can handle it.

Stay tuned... the next blog should be from the road!

2 comments:

  1. YOU can do it!! If you have a good sense of direction and can read a good current map, nix the GPS. Like you, birthday buddy, I have a good sense of direction. I don't know how many times I've been with someone and the GPS takes us to the wrong place. If I had one (and I do have one on my iPhone) I might check it to verify my map directions, but that's it. Invest in a new map every year. Happy trails! Are you coming through GA? Atlanta? Need a place for lunch or a potty break, give me a call. I'll send your my phone number if you're interested though Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the stroke I was good with directions, but now I think too slowly. My GPS is my new best friend. I get directions online AND use the GPS. Sometimes I really miss my brain....

    ReplyDelete