Thursday, July 1, 2010

Walking down memory lane....

It was rather chilly at the campground but the kids decided they wanted to go swimming. They actually stayed in the water about a half an hour (my bet was 15 minutes) before they decided it was too cold to swim, and that blue was a good color but not on their lips.

I suggested that we take a drive and the kids thought that was a great idea. I told them we would drive around the lake. I didn't tell them that we would be going through Sylvan beach... I left that as a surprise. When we pulled into the beach, the kids were so excited. I knew exactly how they felt! I remember the thrill of going to Sylvan beach when I was younger. Things have changed a little, but a lot is still exactly the same!

First we went to the arcade and carousel. We played games and won tickets, had our photos taken at the photo booth, and rode the carousel. The kids were disappointed that the horses didn't go up and down, but that soon turned to smiles and squeals of delight. Just as I remembered, the carousel went around at amazing speed. We all had so much fun!



I told the kids how I loved to play Skee-Ball whenever we went to Sylvan beach. At first they thought it was silly but we ended up putting a lot of quarters into those machines! (I may be dating myself, but I thin we used to play the old machines for 10 cents??)



We happened to be there on bargain day, so the kids were able to go on more rides (the rides take less tickets on bargain day). They went on the bomber, the bumper cars, and the himalaya. Then we all went on the rollar coaster. It was Liam's first time on a rollar coaster. It took a little coaxing, but he went. After the initial scare of that first drop... he thought it was "awesome"!


I also had to take them into the rickety old Fun House. It was just as cheesy as I remember but they loved it!




Then walked down the beach and Skyler made a sand castle. It was a fun day and took me back to when I was a kid.


We then got in the car and finished our drive around the lake. We went back to the campground very happy, with our pockets full of cheap plastic prizes and $40 poorer.
And for me? It was a great trip down memory lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment